Sunday 24 February 2013

Pope Fun


11th February 2013

Lots of jolly internet postings about the pope's shock resignation - which provides some light relief and a welcome distraction from the horrors of the economy etc. - rather like the Costa Concordia sinking last year.

I suggested that the Pope was retiring to a life of prayer "to spend more time with his rosary" - others have been less charitable.  It is wonderful to see someone following the glorious example of Celestine V - I can think of a number of popes whose retirement would have been even more welcome...

The media speculation cannot possibly last for 3 weeks or more (oh yes it can!).  First speculation (inevitably) "Isn't it time we had an African or Latin American pope?" - this might not be the breath of fresh air/new broom/tired cliche of your choice that the church needs - Anglican African bishops are notoriously conservative and fundamentalist - and I don't suppose the "liberation theology" strand has been very strong in Latin America since Oscar Romero - but then again, I ceased to take an interest in these things, so I may be wrong.  No doubt I will discover interesting opinions (and even a few facts) in the media in the next few weeks.

Second speculation (new broom theme contd.) "Isn't it time we had someone much younger?" - Oh yes, a youthful 55 year old who would then run the church into the rocks for 30 years - great.  Another JP2 perhaps?

Third speculation  "Isn't it time we looked outside the normal candidates to find someone with a different skill set?"  Of course, no one would have imagined that a divorced female lapsed Catholic blogger could become pope - but as she had been elected a cardinal she was technically eligible - and so began the rule of Hadriana VIII.... (with apologies to Fr. Rolfe).

I am pretty sure there is no sinister reason for the Pope to resign - although I await conspiracy theories with some interest.  Already someone has mentioned Alzheimers - although it doesn't seem to have affected his Latin (judging by the extract I heard).

Theological question: can the phrase "Long live the Holy Spirit" actually mean anything? I don't know whether it is a misguided Catholic slogan - a mistranslation - perhaps Viva il Spirito Santo? Or just a slip of the tongue... the HS being an aspect of God  is presumably eternal ... and doesn't exactly live...but I suppose "Hurray for the Paraclete and long may it continue to inspire our lives" is a bit turgid.

It is cold, I am tired, and I am going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment